One reason for that is that prayer mobilizes the power of God, and we’re spiritually powerless without His power at a work in us. In fact, it is by His Spirit that He works and moves in our lives today. Jesus himself said that the Holy Spirit will teach us what we need to know and remind us of all Jesus said. Check it out: “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” John 14:26
That’s pretty significant!
Are you walking in the Spirit?
Living SENT is deeply rooted in walking with the Holy Spirit. Living every moment of every day for Jesus requires wisdom, strength, power and other things that only the Holy Spirit can provide. So…again. Are you walking in the Spirit?
How do we know? You may want to. You may even think you are; but if there’s no evidence…you aren’t.
The presence of the Holy Spirit in a life changes that life. That person lives differently as they allow the Spirit to guide them “in all truth.” On the flipside, living without submitting to the guidance of the Holy Spirit also effects how we live as well…just in reverse.
Here are some signs to look for to recognize when you are NOT walking in step with the Holy Spirit: [Note: This is not an exhaustive list…just a starting point.]
- Increased Vulnerability: In the Spirit, we have access to the power of God. When we aren’t, we don’t. Satan knows when we aren’t walking with the Spirit, and he seeks to capitalize on that vulnerability, which leads to #2.
- Decreased Strength: We become susceptible to temptation at a whole ‘nuther level when we are not walking with the Spirit. Our discipline, our ability to stand firm and our resistance all fade; and our willingness to entertain sin in thought, word and deed grows as the appeal of sin increases.
- Growing Insecurity: Since our confidence and identity are in Christ, when we aren’t walking with the Holy Spirit, we’re continuously more and more insecure, and that leads us back to #1.
- Agenda Shift: As we walk in the Spirit, we live our life by God’s agenda. When we don’t, our life is marked by our agenda or the agendas of other people. If you see a shift in your agenda ask why. In the Spirit, our lives should be marked by the things of God…His purpose…His heart…His goals…His Kingdom; and He is unchanging.
- Absence of Fruit: Fruitlessness…or a significant drop in fruit…is very telling. Galatians clearly identifies the fruit of the Spirit as “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”[Galatians 5:22] If you are lacking any of these, or if these are waning in your life, take note! Living by the Spirit means these are found in increasing measure.
When you see any of these signs in your life, it’s time to make a change. You need to get away! Make time to get alone with God like Jesus did, and like Nehemiah did, to pray and fast. Chase hard after the face of God; and during that time, ask God to pour out His Holy Spirit and give you a fresh anointing!
Take some time today to pray for your church family, the ministry team and pray for me. We are all in this together, and none of us has to walk alone.
Just as a side note, increased temptation, greater spiritual battle, hardship, suffering and the like are NOT clear indicators of failing to walk in the Spirit. In fact, they are usually the opposite.
Think about it.
What happened to Jesus as He fasted in the wilderness? [ref. Matthew 4:1-11]
I am praying for you.